The eating habits of a person with diabetes are much different than those without the condition. With this fact in mind, we tried to design the most optimal feature for meal tracking where you can enter not only simple ingredients but also create meals. Save your most liked or most often prepared dishes in your household once and your meal track record will be a breeze.
We will walk you through the steps on creating meals and dishes (available only with the Premium plan) in Diabetes:M app.
- Open your favorite diabetes management app a.k.a. Diabetes:M!
- You can access the desired “Food” menu via the home screen or through the left sliding menu
- Type the food/drink you are about to consume in the search field. A list of simple foods and complex dishes that include your ingredient will start to appear in the list below.
- Select your food item from the list.
- A screen with different serving sizes will appear. Choose your serving amount.
- You will be directed to another screen where you need to add (or manually type) the exact serving quantity.
- Tap OK to confirm.
- Press on the food stats above the search field (positioned in the grey rectangle) of the selected food to open it.
- Here all Premium users have the opportunity to save this food either as a dish or as a meal.
What is the difference?
- Meals are editable food item lists. Users could later use them as a whole (e.g. breakfast/ lunch/ dinner) or modify them. For example a meal includes: appetizer + main course + dessert + drink
- Dishes are non-editable food items in which nutrient data is a sum of the nutrients from the selected food items (the ingredients). It could be selected at a later stage as a single food. For example: soup + croutons.
- Enter the name of the meal.
- Verify that the selected food items in the meal list are correct.
- Optionally you can add a photo of the meal.
- Save the selected food items as a new meal.
- Exit the selection screen and you will be able to see your new meal on the list.
14 steps might look like a lot to do to document every meal, but for a dish that has been saved once – there won’t be a need to re-enter it again. Add all your favorite foods to the Diabetes:M mobile app and enjoy your mealtime!